Beef Pot Pie
- 3pks of Meaty Soup Bones
- 1 stick of Butter
- 1 Onion Yellow Diced
- 1 Cup of Mushrooms sliced
- 2TB of Flour
- 1 Bag of Frozen Peas & Carrots
- 1 Pouch of Covey Rise Farm Bone Broth
- 1/2 Tbsp Tarragon
- Splash of Worstershire
- 1/2 Tbsp Oregano
- 1/2 /Tbsp Thyme
- Salt and Pepper to Tase
- Pre-made or homemade crust for top and bottom.
- 1 Egg whisked for wash
- Start by braising the soup bones with 1/3 of the pouch of broth, we use this method with our instant pot set to meat mode (if using a Dutch oven add more liquid and braise for 3-4 hours.
- Once meat is tender remove bones (make sure to get marrow pieces out) and shred meat in the broth. Mix marrow in to start thickening broth and set aside.
- In a Dutch Oven or larger sauce pan heat your butter and sauté the onions and mushrooms until soft over medium high heat.
- Once sautéed make a ring with the mushrooms and onions with the center of the pan clear, if needed add extra butter and flour and brown the flour butter mixture to form a roux.
- Add peas and carrots, your meat with broth along with seasonings to taste. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In cast iron or pie pan butter pan and lay bottom crust making sure to form to bottom of the pan. Add filling, avoid over filling crust. Finally place top crust and using your fingers crimp the bottom and top crust together.
- Whisk your egg and brush evenly across the top of the crust and cut several slits.
- Bake at 400 degrees for roughly 22 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Let cool for 15 or so minutes and enjoy!
- We often have enough of the filling to make two pot pies or we will add extra broth and a package of Amish style wide egg noodles to make beef and noodles for additional meals!