Ingredients for Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 Small Whole Chicken
- 1 Cup Frozen Peas
- 1/2 Cup Sliced Celery
- 1/3 Cup Butter
- 1/3 Cup Chopped Onion
- 1/3 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/4 Teaspoon Celery Seed
- 1 3/4 Cups Chicken Broth
- 2/3 Cup of Milk
Directions for a Pot Pie
Preheat oven to 425 degree F
In a saucepan, cover with water, bring to a boil, than slower to simmer the chicken for 1-2 hours for the chicken to cook all the way through.
Shred the chicken into pieces and set aside for now.
In a saucepan, sauté carrots, celery and onions with a tablespoon or two of butter until soft and translucent. Once translucent add in chicken, peas and carrots. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
Place the chicken mixture in your homemade pie crust. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to scape.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35mins, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. It is best to wait 10-15mins before cutting to serve.
Ingredients for Pie Crust
- 1 1/2 Cups of All Purpose Flour
- Pinch of Salt
- 1/2 Cup of Lard or Leaf Fat
- 3-4 Tablespoons of Cold Water
- Stir Together Flour & Salt
- Cut in lard until you have a crumbly mixture
- Add just enough water to make it come together into a dough
- Pat into a flat disk and wrap with plastic wrap. Chill at least a half hour
- Roll into a thin circle and fit into your pie pan